Saturday, August 18, 2007

The Roots Bring Back Tha Funk

Nic Ouzo: The Roots were what we call a "known known". I had seen them in concert at the ol' alma mater last year, and knew that they can bring the house down. So it was great seeing the surprise on the other WDR faces as they were blown away by one helluva show (even if it was limited due to the nature of a festival show).


The Roots have it all--ridiculous flow, virtuoso musicianship, and boundless energy. They brought in a horns section for this show, and while not my preference, having a sousaphone player named "Tuba Gooding Jr." ain't exactly a bad thing either. At least this performance convinced the crew that The Roots were a show worthy of being sought out for on their own (and that maybe we should actually attempt to purchase their albums).

Mr. Zhaung: When I saw that The Roots would be playing, I wasn't really sure what to expect. I have only a passing familiarity with them as a group, and I honestly wasn't excited. But as it seldom happens, I was blown away. I can say that The Roots have converted me to a believer. I need to find more of their stuff.

It may not sound that great, but they were a close second to Rage at this concert. I will definitely see them the next chance I get. You should too.

No comments: