Thursday, August 9, 2007

The Rise of the Bum

While the homeless problem in the United States is getting a little bit of attention nationally, the reality of homelessness is confronted daily in towns like Eugene, because, well, people around here have a lot of spare change and don't recycle their bottles.

You may think I'm just talking out of my ass (and maybe I am) but I've lived in the front lines. I lived in a house next to a 7-11, and I'm hard pressed to think of night when a bum wasn't sleeping/peeing on my building.

But perhaps this is going to change. But maybe the corporate powers that be are working toward a solution. Yes it appears that Nike has sponsored the Homeless World Cup. This raises the important question: Why aren't we seriously teaching our homeless to play soccer? Furthermore, why aren't there more homeless sporting events? The Homeless Superbowl? The Homeless World Series? We could get our sports entertainment cheaper AND help those less fortunate. It's WIN WIN.

Something does need to be done, though. It's already happened to Eugene, now it's going to happen to THE WHOLE WORLD!!! (As shown in Futurama)



Oh wait - isn't most of the world living in terrible poverty? Shit, we might need to get Hockey in here too...

No comments: