Saturday, July 14, 2007

Boom Goes the Bastille Day!

That's right, today was Bastille Day (not my Mom's birthday, I got that cleared up way ahead of time this year). If you don't know what Bastille Day is all about, it's the day when the French celebrate their independence from the Dutch, I believe, which was around 1952. I seem to recall Toucan Sam playing a significant role in this as well, though I don't think you should quote me on that. And it had something to do with the liberation of the South American corn crop (or as the Indians call it, maize (insert slow-waving hand gesture)) and taxes on Sweet 'n' Low, a beloved part of French cuisine.



How did I celebrate? Well, I know some of the neighbors decided that today was as good a day as any to get rid of some of those leftover Sparklers, but I refrained from that. Sure, I spent my usual Saturday "alone time" and "doing nothing in my room" (that may or may not have involved this lovely Frenchwoman (but definitely did not involve this guy)). No, my celebration consisted of eating some shitty fajitas (truly the fa-JIH-tas version of the dish) with some Coronas, like a true Frenchman. Then I went and saw...



Yippee kay-yeah, motherfucker! Whoo boy, I was ready to feel like a red-blooded fuckin' American today (even with only PG-13 level of violence and language, which just feels unconstitutional goddammit).

Well, that was the plan. I ended up getting lost in Maryland looking for the goddamn movie theater, but I did get to see the Discovery Channel's headquarters (which looked more like Initech than anything). So I headed back into town and decided to catch a taxi to another random movie theater. This one wasn't playing Live Free or Die Hard, so I saw instead the one movie that I'd been dying to see for weeks, Knocked Up. It was, as they say, a good decision. Hilarious as all get out. (Note to the people who complain that abortion was "glossed over": if there was an abortion, there wouldn't have been much of a movie, now wouldn't there have been? It would've been kinda like Alien without the space monster, no?) Anyways, I recommend it, and I'll probably be quoting it in the future.

But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Getting back to the original topic, let us take some time now to remember the ideals of the French Revolution:
La granouille mange la pamplemousse
err...Liberté, Egalité, et Fraternité. See, I learn things sometimes.



It's a celebration. At least for an hour on the West Coast. But if that isn't enough, do stuff tomorrow. It's what the French would've wanted.

1 comment:

Mr. Zhuang said...

Knocked Up was damn good. So was Die Hard, so I hope you get to see it soon.

"There are FIVE different types of chairs in this hotel room!"