Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Playlist-a-Palooza (not affiliated with Mitch-a-Palooza)

Ah yes, Valentine's Day. Your existence baffles many of us, especially those who know nothing about martyrs and Roman priests and their relation to Rolaids-Hearts (which are labeled "candy" by an irresponsible jackass). And frankly I'm also tired of everyone complaining how crappy a holiday it is, and WOE IS ME I HAVE NO DATE ON THIS ARBITRARY DAY ON THE CALENDAR. It's just enough for someone to attempt to look at a comic featuring naked angels for wisdom.



At this point, I'm ready to say that Valentine's Day has worn out its welcome. That's because not only does it make every dateless wonder feel like a schmuck (and really, don't we need more opportunities to remind these people of their pathetic existence?), but they're an unfair burden among those who are (un)luckily in love. They have to do things like remember that today is Valentine's Day, and then on top of that, they have to do stuff! Like go out to fancy restaurants that make unreasonable demands and require things like "pants", or buy organic chocolate (because it helps the environment? I'm not really sure about this one). In the end, it's a fucking lose-lose situation, and as a "winner", I don't fucking appreciate this (Ed. Note: the original draft did not include the quotation marks, but we can only assume that the statement was made sarcastically, and we have noted it as such).

Well, I'm here to help all of you out. For the past four years, I had a radio shift on Valentine's Day, even though my shifts were in constant flux. It's not like I could complain either, because hey, I sure as hell wasn't busy those nights. So I'll cheer you up with a fantastic playlist to help you through the night. On the other hand, I was also known to host the most depressing show on the station, because I tended to not pay attention to things like "mood" or "content" when I selected a playlist. So who knows if you'll end up in an even worse mood. But I'm saying right now that if you kill yourself after listening to this list, I and WDR are in no way responsible.

Here you go:

Stars of Track and Field - "Movies of Antarctica"
Radiohead - "Fake Plastic Trees"
The Rolling Stones - "Let's Spend the Night Together"
Soundgarden - "Burden In My Hand"
The Black Keys - "Your Touch"
Interpol - "Leif Erikson"
My Bloody Valentine - "When You Sleep"
Pearl Jam - "Hail Hail"
Pearl Jam - "Black"

Commercial Break!

My Morning Jacket - "I Will Sing You Songs"
The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize??"
A Perfect Circle - "3 Libras"
Weezer - "Undone (The Sweater Song)"
Smashing Pumpkins - "Thirty-three"
The Jesus and Mary Chain - "Just Like Honey"
Death From Above 1979 - "Romantic Rights"
Blur - "Beetlebum"
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Modern Romance"


And depending on how the night is going...
Air - "Sexy Boy"

OR

Dead Kennedys - "Too Drunk To Fuck"


So, enjoy February 14. It's Thursday. That means "Lost" is on. I need to see what's the deal with these freight people...

2 comments:

Joe Reefer said...

My theory on the "candy" hearts is rather akin to the Pringles "fuck it, cut 'em up" theory.

Nic Ouzo said...

That's the kind of learned scholarship that I expect from you Joe. Kudos!