Friday, February 8, 2008

Fiesta Friday!

Because Fridays were made for parties!

Every so often, I go through my music collection and find something that I haven't listened to is a very long time. It's usually something that I listened to a lot when I was in high school and just never feel like listening to anymore.

So it was yesterday that for whatever reason I decided to listen to some Third Eye Blind when I got home from a day of midterms.

Now, I remember Third Eye Blind's first album because it was one of the first albums I ever bought that wasn't Weird Al. I was 12 years old, and this shit was the hottest rock and I listened to it constantly (I think it's also fair to point out that I also lived in a tiny town with no record stores or real good radio reception). Since that time, I always looked at it as a general pop rock album that I listened to when I was trying to find my self musically. It reminds me of a time long ago when I was just beginning to get angry with the world and do stupid things. Not quite Kevin Hart stupid, but still regrettable. But hey; I was 12.

So now, about 10 years later, I pick it up once again and find out something crucial: It's still pretty damn good. I realized that there were parts of these songs that I didn't understand before, and now I have a new appreciation for it. It was funny to know all the words to a song and hear it almost for the first time.

So today's Fiesta Friday is a retro edition. I decided to pick this track because it was one of my favorites when I was 12, and even 10 years later, I still like it. Also, the crazy blonde in this video scares me a bit. She looks a bit like Courtney Love, but if Courtney Love was hot. Stephan Jenkins also looks a bit like Paul Rudd. Am I the only one who sees this resemblance?

I hope y'all enjoy it.

And if you don't, go fuck yourself.

4 comments:

Nic Ouzo said...

Whoo! I saw these guys live--not in 1998, when it would have been cool, but last year! They even performed "Slow Motion" with all its naughty lyrics. Thank you, Dartmouth (I say this only half-ironically)!

"Losing a Whole Year" is a great song, but I have to give a shout-out to their second album, Blue, which I think is totally underrated.

Mr. Zhuang said...

Blue is pretty good (Especially with the full version of "Slow Motion") but I still have to give it up for the first one. So good...

Nic Ouzo said...

The thing is, I heard the best songs on the self-titled album played to DEATH on the radio (besides "Losing A Whole Year"), so I never really listened to the album that much.

Now, with "Blue", you have the slow burner "Wounded", the catchy/experimental "Camouflage", and "Anything" which in less than 2 minutes kicks the ass of anything that was released that year. For me, those three songs make the album better.

And now that it's actually up, read the post on George Will too.

Anonymous said...

Now, I remember Third Eye Blind's first album because it was one of the first albums I ever bought that wasn't Weird Al.

Me too, Mr. Zhuang. Me too.

Nic Ouzo, you have some astute assessments. And yes, the full version of "Slow Motion" is badass. My friend made me a tape with it back at the turn of the century (...I can actually use that phrase, wtf) and I thought it was the coolest shit ever and how dare those mean record execs not let them put it on the CD ;_;

I kind of took my Third Eye Blind seriously back in the day.