Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- Back to the Garage Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

This week, we're exploring the lighter side of life, courtesy of The Hives. They're one of the most fun live acts that you'll find, and I'm lucky enough that I'm going to see them tomorrow night. Well, it's not as if I had something else planned, or that tickets were running dangerously low, so I guess luck didn't really play a part in this decision at all. Less than 20 bucks to see a kick-ass show? Count me in.

Anyways, if any of you were wondering why we continue to spell "Portland" as "Port Land" here on the site, it's because of the Hives. During a breakdown in one of their songs at the last show we were at, Howlin' Pelle Almqvist implored the crowd to clap along, to pump up Dr. Matt Destruction during his bass solo. Except...the crowd was falling behind the beat. Howlin' Pelle was stunned, and had to ask the crowd in his Swedish-tinted English, "Port Land...Where's Your Rhythm?!?"

Well, I'll be bringing my rhythm tomorrow. In the meantime, enjoy my favorite song from these guys, "Main Offender".

This is my main offender
This is what I've got and it's got me saying - why me?!

2 comments:

Mr. Zhuang said...

Portland's lack of rhythm was truly embarassing at the concert. Seriously.

But a fun show will occur nonetheless.

Nic Ouzo said...

Port Land must have taken some lessons, because they were right on the beat at the concert. And yes, it was one fun concert.

I also wanted to point out a random trivia thing in the video--you'll see a contract signed by a "R. Fitzsimmons", which is short for Randy Fitzsimmons, the supposed Svengali that the Hives claim wrote all their songs.