Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- Sentimental Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day, so I thought it would be best if we had something at least related to the holiday. So I rooted through my music collection, trying to find something appropriate. Those that know me best know that I can be a sentimental bastard, so it's no surprise that there was a lot from which I could choose. I had to choose the right balance between romantic and not sappy, which eliminated a good deal of my collection, however.

My first thought was to include some Coldplay, and hopefully bring in the female contingent to our blog. Plus, it would give me an opportunity to present my Coldplay theory, which basically boils down to the fact that they once made solid music, but will never be able to do so again. But then I thought, why waste an idea that would make a perfectly suitable stand-alone post? So you guys won't get my suggestion of Coldplay romance.

I then thought perhaps to do fake Coldplay, but felt that would have been kind of pointless. We don't want to be too weepy around here, folks. Then I thought, we could go with something really upbeat, but then realized we've already featured Wilco before. Finally, I decided against posting an asshole video. So that's how we got today's choice.

Then again, it's a damn fine choice if I do say so. I have been on a Secret Machines kick for some time now, and had been meaning to post this video for some time, but was always distracted by something else. The album that it comes from, Ten Silver Drops, has been unfairly overlooked, though some of it is due to the fact that their debut, Now Here Is Nowhere (one of my all-time favorite titles), was so awesome. Maybe a listen to this song will get you to reconsider the album. As it is, the video is pretty sweet (notice the audio changes as the camera shifts), and I'm really pumped for the new album that's coming out this year.

Oh, and I guess Happy Valentine's Day.

'Cause in her dreams she's seen it all
Through a window so far off
Remember watching while her
Lightning blue eyes reflected sunrise...

3 comments:

Mr. Zhuang said...

I went with the obvious "Valentine's Day" by Marilyn Manson, though I do realize that they didn't make a video for that song.

Nic Ouzo said...

Truly that is what makes Mr. Zhuang, well, Mr. Zhuang.

Mr. Zhuang said...

Couldn't have said it better myself.