Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The New Sports Sweeping the Nation!

And by that I mean I haven't heard of it before and people are doing it.

It would appear that the playingfield of the mind is bringing us new ideas for revolutionary sports. Why, just a post or two ago, our own Joe Reefer wrote a column about his invented sport, Futball. Also, a few years ago Hunter S. Thompson and Bill Murray spoke about the new sport known only as Shotgun Golf.

These new sports are hybrids of other sports, and this next sport is no different. It's Underwater Hockey. It's essentially like hockey, except people wear swim gear and probably have MORE of a chance of killing themselves in the process of the game. Or so I would assume.

Whyin Oregon? Why the hell not?! Besides, around here we have a lot of water, and it almost never gets cold enough to freeze (and as such, playing hockey doesn't really happen around here). And who uses the public pools in the winter? Nobody! (I don't actually know this for a fact; I just know that I don't).

Unlike these other two sports, I don't know who invented it or why they were particularly intrigued with the idea. Still, it's worth mentioning. You may think I'm crazy now, but just wait until your little kid goes off to play Underwater Hockey during basketball season and Shotgun Golf in the summer.

Holy shit! It seems that in the minor amount of research I've done, I've found that this is not, in fact, a new sport. Apparently it's been around since the 1950s (I got this info from Wikipedia, so I KNOW it's true!). Still, this is pretty strange.

No comments: