Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Hump Day Helper -- No More Summer Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

I know the calendar says that summer ended more than a week ago, but in reality it actually happened last Friday afternoon. That was when the weather suddenly went from bright and sunny mid-70s to, well, stereotypical Oregon weather. So I say "fuck that", it's time for some summertime music.

This week's choice is from My Morning Jacket. If you don't know of this band, then your life is woefully incomplete, my friend. Please consult this post for a video that should make you a convert to the cause. There's a good reason why they are one of the bands that I need to see before I die. Every person that I've had listen to this band has agreed, and if you watch their live DVD Okonokos, it would be best to describe it as a religious experience. The music of MMJ is difficult to describe--it's often understated, with a simplicity that is not often apparent at first glance. They mix many different styles, but not in a way that's obvious at all. It just rocks.

This video has two things going for it. One, the song itself, which uses a laid-back take on the Hawaii 5-O riff to form the backing of a cheery reggae song, which then at the end morphs into a slinky, eerily sexy groove that's reminiscent of Air (though you'd have to listen to the album version to get the full effect). And two, the video will leave you wondering what just happened, much like Radiohead's "Just". Nothing wrong with any of that.

And I'll make it up to you right now, at the penny arcade...

No comments: