Monday, January 7, 2008

The Something Something of 2007!

A count down or something.

2007 was full of ups and downs. It was a roller coaster ride that brought us to this beautiful, rainy and occasionally snowy year of 2008. Anything can happen now, what with round numbers and all (and the numbers really are ROUND! Look at them!). But let's not dwell on the future; let's take a look at what was and can never be changed.



It's common knowledge that the WDR crew has a horrible habit of watching those VH1 shows about decades past (and occasionally those about weeks past, too). We do this to cope with the fact that the present sucks, and things are SOOOOO much better in retrospect.

So what was so great about 2007? What were the worst parts? Well, I'm not sure how to say this, but the following list isn't a best or worst of; it's just a list of crap that I came up with ... right now.

Oh, and there will be 14 items on the list. Because I said so.

WDR's First Annual Countdown or Something

14.) Lesbians!

This year, Jodie Foster grabbed the media spotlight not for her acting or some sort of political ramblings, but because of her sexuality. She is in a relationship with a woman. Let it sink in.

So, I didn't initially know why this was a big deal. In the words of Tourette's Guy, "That just means she likes what I like!" But upon further scrutiny, I realized what it was. You see, there was a point in time when Jodie Foster was "Kill the President Hot." This was a time when one extremely deranged guy thought that Jodie Foster would love him if he killed the president. Now, this woman is dating another woman? Dios Mio!

Yes, some other post should be done on this, but right now I'm getting tired of talking about this and I still have 13 more things to count down.

13.) The Rise and Fall of the Ducks

This year, we in Eugene saw our Ducks (and star Dennis Dixon) rise above all others, only to lose it all to fucking Arizona. Seriously. Wow.

The worst part was the Dennis Dixon Heisman situation, which if you recall, even I was skeptical about. Still, when it came down to it, Dixon was the front runner and would have taken the trophy if he hadn't been injured. But he was, and it sucked. Game over.

12.) Radiohead's "In Rainbows"

This has been the talk of so many other people/lists, that I'm not really going to get into it. But let me just say this: When are we going to get the second disc?

11.) The Return of Rage

Rage Against the Machine came back, we drove all the way to Berdo to see 'em and it was all worth it. Even with the heat and hundreds of retarded fans (who burns plastic bottles?) the show remains amazing.

10.) The Ducks Win the PAC 10 Championship Game

I added this mostly because it happened on my birthday and USC kids cried. Best birthday gift, guys!

9.) Britney Spears' Children Are Frightening

I know, who wants to hear crap about Britney Spears? No one (I wish). But the fact is that I've had to see her damned face and her kids on magazines at the grocery store and this issue has not been brought to light. THESE KIDS LOOK CREEPY. Then again, look where they came from.

8.) The Rice Burger Flavor Sensation!

OK, so Jonathan Stewart made this crazy burger with rice and salsa on it, and it was pretty good. Happy Cinco De Mayo!

7.) I'm Running Out of Things to Write

I'm just gonna skip this one.

6.) ELECTION TIME!

So 2008 is the actual election time, but we've been getting all sorts of shit about the election since the beginning of 2007 (or at least that's when I noticed it). I haven't really paid much attention to it because it's a little while off, and eventually I won't be able to get away from it. It's kind of like Christmas, but without religious barrier or any time constraints. It's balls-out MADNESS.

5.) INTERPOL!

New album from Interpol that was awesome (in fact, I listened to some of it today). My pick for new summer album.

4.) Queens of the Stone Age

I love these guys, but the latest album wasn't as good as I thought it would be. Sure, My expectations were high, but usually these guys meet them. Still, it was nice to get an album version of "I Wanna Make it Wit Chu," even though it's at a slower tempo than the live version I'm used to. But it did have a cool video.

3.) Superbad

If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about.

2.) Eastern Promises

If you've seen it, you know what I'm taking about.

1.) The Most Horrible Thing My Eyes Have Seen This Year (courtesy of my roommate)


And no, it wasn't the picture above (not sure what so horrible about it, but Google found it...).

No, it was "Two Girls, One Cup" was horribly disturbing and awful. I'm not even going to link it here, so if someone else wants to force that upon you, they'll have to link it themselves (I'm looking at you, Joe). Seriously, this is fucked up shit. It even made Loveline's Dr. Drew feel queasy. I don't want to think about it any more. Just picture the worst thing you've seen, and it will be close.

_______________________

So there you have it: What a year! Let's just hope that 2008 makes things crazy again. I know it will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have seen the monstrosity known as "Two Girls, One Cup" as well. It was shown to me without warning by a true godless bastard - a hateful act for which I will never forgive him.

However, I take a different tact than you, Mr. Zhuang, in dealing with what I've seen. I feel the only way I can cope with the grotesque spectacle I've witnessed is to spread the disease to others as well. Perhaps if the world can share completely in my catatonic despair, it won't seem quite as bad to me.

Therefore, I am posting a link to "Two Girls, One Cup" below. Click on it.

I promise it will eat away at your immortal soul forever, but we both know you're going to click on it anyway.

So go ahead. Ruin your life. Click here: http://www.2girls1cup.com/

-N.B.H.

Mr. Zhuang said...

I knew that this would happen eventually...

Nic Ouzo said...

The part that's scary about that picture?

AERO candy disappeared in the 1960s. There shouldn't be any in existence any more. Some one found a rip in the space-time continuum.

Good to see you fulfilling point 2 of our New Years resolution.