Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- We're Here To Inspire Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

I alluded to this last week, but usually for our Hump Day Helpers we try to select something that will just amp you up, get you going, do the work of a Red Bull/Cocaine cocktail. And that's a fine approach to getting out of the mid-week doldrums most of the time. But sometimes we want a little more, something that gives us more than energy, something that gives us...hope. And that leads us to posting something by some merry Icelandic musicmakers.

I initially got the idea to change course and post a Sigur Rós video after watching some of their amazing live DVD, Heima. I had been fans of the eclectic and uplifting music that Sigur Rós had produced for a number of years now, and had heard raves about their spectacular live show, but I was still blown away by the sheer majesty of their performance from watching the DVD. So we'll pass along a little of that same experience by showcasing one of their most powerful videos here.

Random Addenda: There's an excellent cover version of the song done by the American group We Are Scientists that you could listen to as well. I also wanted to mention that as I was in Hollywood Video yesterday when I heard the unmistakable buildup that is the climax to Popplagið; upon hearing this, I had to see what movie was using it, and I must say I was extremely disappointed to see that it was for that stupid remake of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".

Oh, and here's your Magic Bullet Yahtzee!

Og ég fæ blóðnasir (and i get a nosebleed)
En ég stend alltaf upp (but i'll always stand up again)

No comments: