Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- Genius of Gondry Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

Around here, we're big fans of the work of director Michel Gondry. We've always enjoyed his music videos, and the Director Series DVD of his work is something that we've watched more than a few times. Last week, Joe and I picked up a copy of Be Kind Rewind, Gondry's latest movie, and had a great time seeing his bizarro take on various blockbusters.

The beauty of Gondry is the sense of whimsy and awe that permeates his work. In a world full of mind-numbing explosions and CGI run amok, Gondry's low-budget methods and pure imagination set him apart as a true artist. Of course, if you don't believe me, I'm sure you could watch some of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and be convinced otherwise.

There's a ton of videos that we could select for this feature, but here's one that shows both Gondry's use of no-budget and his childhood sense of whimsy. That's because it has Legos!

I said "I must be fine cause my heart's still beating
Come and kiss me by the riverside, yeah
Bobby says it's fine he don't consider it cheating now...

No comments: