Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Bastille Day, Bitches

This year, we here at WDR decided to have one kickass party for Bastille Day. Why? Well, we don't really need a reason to have a party, and in fact usually come up with a reason for having the party after the party has already taken place (oh yeah, we were totally having a kegger because it was Flag Day!). Well, at least that was the plan. Joe instead decided to go hang out with his girlfriend (one of many) since she was leaving for school--I mean, what a namby-pamby wuss! And actually, we didn't offer Mr. Zhuang an invitation. We just kind of assumed he was dead--at least until he commented on the Coldplay post last week. Now we don't know what to think.

So, in the end we did jackshit for Bastille Day. Instead, I took the time to honor and reflect upon someone great who was celebrating a birthday the same day. That's right, I'm talking about Tony Kornheiser!



Friends know that though I watch a lot of television, it's mainly a rational decision I've made that was the result of careful deliberation between several options of what to do with my free time. However, there are a couple of programs that are required viewing, and Tony's "Pardon the Interruption" is one of them. They're arguing about sports! It's genius! It's gold, Jerry, gold! Of course, it seems that Tony is intent on ruining my summer vacation by not showing up for work--he's had a substitute host in his place for the past three weeks, so we're kind of not on speaking terms for the moment. Dammit, I need my penguin dance!

But this all has nothing to do with the French. So I decided to come up with a list of my favorite French New Wave films, and here it is:


1). Truffaut's The 400 Blows
2). Godard's Breathless
3). Umm...I think that's it. Wait, no, I got one! The Talking Heads' Stop Making Sense


It was at the third item on the list where I realized that I had no idea really what the hell French New Wave Cinema really is (though I have found the term in French, "Nouvelle Vague", is way hilarious to read). Nor did I particularly care. I soon became lost in the wonder that is David Byrne's Big Suit, as I watched Talking Heads clips on Youtube.

So Bastille Day was a big bust. I just hope Laetitia can forgive us.



And if you think all this was just a reason to post a random picture of a hot lady, well buddy...we need all the visits we can get. I wasn't going to mention this to you, but WDR is in serious...nah, I'll tell you another time, probably when you're older. Just remember to blame Joe--he's way better at this random non sequitur stuff than I am.

1 comment:

Mr. Zhuang said...

Seriously Joe- what the fuck? We know you have the responsibility of satisfying the legions of women at your doorstep, but for fuck sake... at least try some multitasking and write something on the blog. Jeez...

Two more things: 400 Blows is a quality piece of cinema. Also, I just watched "Last Tango in Paris" last week. Yes, it was directed by an Italian and starred Marlon Brando, but it's still a great film with a lot of French dialog. That should count for something...

Oh, and I've been drunk for the last month. I guess that's more than two things...