Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- A Concession for Mr. Zhuang


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

Since we just called for the head of Mr. Zhuang a few days ago, it's only fair to grant him some last requests, the most important of which would be the selection of the Hump Day Helper. While he didn't make any specific request per se (he's not answering phone calls at the moment--understandable, considering the bounty on his head), I'm certain he'd love today's choice.

And a fine choice indeed, if I may say so. Yesterday marked the physical release of the latest Nine Inch Nails album, The Slip. While I'm sure everyone who was interested already downloaded a free copy (Thanks Trent!), some of us dinosaurs still like owning a physical copy, something on our shelves that we can point to and say "look at my massive record collection with tons of awesome bands that shows my fantastic taste in music" (a look at an iTunes library just doesn't quite have the same effect). And the album is probably worth picking up even if you have it downloaded, since it's a limited edition (meaning it's a collector's item), and it comes with a live DVD that shows that the upcoming NIN tour is going to be one rocking show.

The latest single, "Discipline", is a good solid late-period work (it's definitely catchy), but I felt slightly inadequate for the HDH, even though the video has a definite goofy charm to it. No, I went with a track that gets me going from the opening drum kick, and shows a band on the very edge of chaos. Now doesn't that make you feel better?

I want to break it up
I want to smash it up
I want to fuck it up
I want to watch it come down...

1 comment:

Mr. Zhuang said...

I agree completely. This song should be played anytime people need to get motivated/excited. Hells yeah.