Monday, March 24, 2008

In Praise of Our Nation's Scholar Athletes


The eyes of the nation have turned to various gymnasiums across the land, as College Basketball shows College Football how to crown a champion--by duking it out on the floor (and yes, I was looking for a "Gymkata" joke, but couldn't fine one). See, they have the crazy idea that arguments don't win championships, but that proving that you are the better team through competitive engagement of sport is in fact the most effective way to determine the Greatest Team In All Of The Land.

The best part of the whole tournament-deal is the opportunity to earn Huge Cash Rewards from filling out various brackets, and competing in pools with your officemates. This is an opportunity to earn respect and gain friendship from your peers, as well as their money. However, if you fail (and chances are, you will), you risk humiliation. Cue the sad Charlie Brown music.

Now I'm known as a guy who knows a thing or two about sports, so I tend to take pride in making such picks. I mean, I still recall predicting a Final Four, Championship Game, and Champion correctly about 7 years ago. But I've grown tired of College Basketball--compared to the NBA, it blows. The players are short and slow (hell, at 6 foot, I could post-up half of these guys), plus they can't shoot for shit. In other words, I haven't followed the sport at all--the only thing I was aware of was the fact that LSU fired their coach, despite the fact he took them to the Final Four two years ago. Hence my motivation to name my tourney picks "The Ghost of John Brady".


As for my picks this year, I can't say enough bad things about them. But to be fair, you can't expect much when you're in an ether-induced haze at 3 in the morning making your picks. Or the fact that I took 45 seconds to pick out the entirety of my bracket. At least there's no money at stake for me, what with my lack of actual employment. Though I feel sorry for everyone who copied my picks--tough break kids.

Now where's the rest of my ether?

No comments: