Thursday, December 13, 2007

Here I am...

...Rock you like a hurricane!

Now I know a lot of people have already commented on it, but I have to say something. This new game "Rock Band" does not make any sense to me at all. People can get together and "start a band" with the help of fake instruments and a game console. They can pretend to play a real concert in the comfort of their own home without actually learning how to play an instrument and waste more time in their parents' basement after they've gotten stoned.

I'm not the kind of person that complains about said wasting time or getting stoned. But what bothers me is this game. Why can't people just get together and play crappy rock in their basements? Hasn't this been done for years? It's not that hard to make shitty music in your parents' basement. Shit, I was doing it earlier today. And I was on MySpace. Seriously, it's not that hard to do.

OK, so musical instruments are "expensive" and "take up a lot of space" and "piss of the neighbors." So what? I'm in college, completely broke and I have AT LEAST 4 musical instruments in my room. I have a working knowledge of AT LEAST 2 of them. I play through an amp made by Marlboro. I shit you not. I got this amp for free. Trust me.

But perhaps I'm looking at this the wrong way. I mean, most good bands started playing in some body's garage/basement (save bands like Cream or A Perfect Circle), but so did a lot of horrible bands. Perhaps there wouldn't be nearly as many Linkin Parks or Nickelbacks or Plain White T's if these kids spent their time getting high and playing video games instead of trying to be "musical." But I'd also hate to see someone with real potential fall through the cracks just because of a video game. I mean, what if Trent Reznor was obsessed with video games so much that it drove him AWAY from music?

Oh wait, Trent Reznor did do that playing Doom. (And you thought he was battling his "personal" demons between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. How wrong you were...) And come to think of it, those kids that aren't serious about playing music probably should play this game, because they probably aren't going to contribute anything worthwhile to the world of music anyway. Perhaps "Rock Band" is doing us a service.

No, fuck that. They're out there to make money. So drop you dirty dollar on it if you like. I'm going to rock on with my little buddy from Marlboro country...

1 comment:

Nic Ouzo said...

I could go without a Nickelback 2, so perhaps it's for the best. But yeah, the whole thing is kind of retarded (the South Park episode about Guitar Hero covers this well, especially the ending).

That being said, any excuse to rerun that Seagal picture is a good one.