Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Hump Day Helper -- Overlooked Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

As the year 2009 has moved past the halfway point, I realized that we're probably going to be hearing a lot about "best of the decade" lists in the near future. Even though I'm one of those guys who thinks that we should reserve these things for something at the end of 2010 (you know, I'm one of those guys who can count), it still made me think I better begin to consider forming my own list. I also want to put this in the heads of the other masterminds of WDR, so that they can begin to devise their own lists as well.

One album that will most certainly be on the list is Pawn Shoppe Heart. It basically was a showcase for the best that the Garage Rock Revival had to offer, from biting sarcastic lyrics to propulsive edgy guitars to Keith Moon drumfills. But even though the band had a good amount of publicity due to their lead singer getting the shit kicked out of him by Jack White, who was close to his peak at that point, it still wasn't enough for the album to break through. And it's a damn shame.

It was tough to track down this video, so if it doesn't play, leave a comment. The moving pictures themselves are nothing special, but the song is one catchy bastard, and you'll probably recognize it. But you probably wouldn't realize how morbid the lyrics were.

And now this day these deepened wounds
Don't heal so fast, can't hear me croon
Of a million lies that speak no truth
Of a time gone by that now is through...

No comments: