Sunday, November 4, 2007

No Sympathy for the Devils

Rudy CAN fail...

Upset city just gained two new citizens: Arizona State and Boston College. The two previously undefeated football teams met the end of their streak last night. I had the privilege of being in attendance at the ASU v. Oregon game, and it was quite a thing to behold (and it was pretty damn cold, too!). As was predicted, Oregon won (so I'm not sure that it really counts as an upset if we were slated to lose, but then again, they were ranked higher than us...), and more of the BCS talk and Heisman.

In fact, it's funny to say that we're the only team in the nation to have TWO players on the Heisman watch (as of this writing). While Dixon is awesome, it was Stewart that really stole the show. Stewart probably won't get a Heisman this year, but I'm pretty sure that he can pull it off next year with Dixon out of the spotlight.

The only truly scary thing of the ASU game was seeing Dixon injured. We were reassured to see him walking around, jumping and giving Bellotti the "Let me back in, coach" gesturing. Bellotti made the smart move to keep Dixon out the rest of that game (why should they risk it against ASU?), and it looks like there was no serious harm.

I don't really remember what happened with the Boston College game because I had already gotten started on my drinking for the night (as some of the WDR crew was also doing). I kind of over did it (playing beer pong with whiskey), but this was a time for celebration, damn it! Even Joe Reefer had an excuse to party (USC's win against OSU), but he probably didn't because Joe doesn't care about/understand football.

But really, after all is said and done, I realized two things. ASU should have had "Rudie Can't Fail" as their theme for the season up to this point. I'm convinced that they failed horribly for this reason alone. Also, "No Sympathy for the Devils" would have been an awesome title for the game when ESPN/FSN/Yahoo/Etc. wrote their headlines for the night. Sadly they didn't do that. If you're listening ESPN/FSN/Yahoo/Etc., hire me to write your headlines! Geez...

Nic was pleased to see another win from his Tigers. They're still ahead of Oregon in the current polls (BCS isn't out yet) but so is Ohio State, and I am convinced that Ohio is going to get an upset soon. I'd bet money on it if I wasn't a broke college kid.

In other news, I was happy to see Notre Dame lose to Navy. That's right, I said NAVY. Dios mio, man. If Notre Dame didn't piss me off so much, I'd feel bad for them. Instead, I celebrated with scotch. Scotchity-scotch scotch scotch.



What does the future hold for the Ducks? Well, it looks like smooth sailing for a while, but anything could happen this season. But this week the Ducks will be taking a well deserved break.

1 comment:

Nic Ouzo said...

LSU no. 2! I can't wait for the epic intra-WDR fight that might take place at the end of the season.

And yeah Joe, but that would mess with your "one-post-a-month" deal.