Friday, August 21, 2009

Nic's Wild European Adventure: Vienna


Alright, we're about to wind down the crazy European Adventure, and what better place to do it than the Original Seattle. That's right, I'm talking about Vienna, home to the world's greatest classical musicians. The city was home at one point or another to Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven, among many others--the Mudhoney, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam of their day, respectively. As a student and lover of music, I of course made a pilgrimage to each of their homes, and took many pictures of old sheet music and harpsichords. You know, the kind of stuff we need to drive up web traffic here at WDR. That's the ticket!

Now back to the beginning. I got to Vienna after a scheduled 16 hour train trip turned into a 21 hour slog. That shouldn't be too much of a big deal--I would only be missing breakfast, though some vital museum-visiting time as well--but some point within the last ten years they've decided to do away with actual dining cars on these trains. Instead, you have a dude who periodically opens a chest filled with the barest of snacks. As a result, I was blessed with a breakfast of champions that morning--a small loaf of bread and a Beck's. This can only bode well.

Once again, when I entered the city I did my routine of finding a tourist map and planning a route to hit as many sites as possible within the day. If you want to know how to lose twenty-five pounds over a summer, I recommend touring the capitals of Europe in just such a manner, with minimal stops for hot dogs and beer. As a fan of architecture and just plain old not-standing-around, this is really the best way to go about sight-seeing. And Vienna was perfect for this--wonderful cathedrals, various arts buildings, and numerous museums all held me in rapt attention. All this, and the beautiful Blue Danube as well.



Of course, when you keep walking, you sometimes end up having to return at some point. As I attempted to make my way to the Viennese version of the Copa Cabana, I ended getting up lost in what could pass as the ghetto of Vienna. As darkness descended, a quick "fuck that" order was issued and I made my way to the subway station. The only problem was that the map at this subway station was completely indecipherable to an outsider, and I had no idea which route would go in the right direction. This led to me hiring a taxi, which was fine enough--you get to see different parts of the city this way that you can't see just by walking--but also led to another chance to rip Nic off, as the driver feigned having trouble with the credit card sliding mechanism, and giving himself a fat 40% tip.


I returned late at night to my hostel, a place I heartily recommend (in fact, my co-worker ended up going to the same hostel the next night, and had the same rave review I had). I then decided to explore further this more "urban" neighborhood, and quickly realized that I was basically in the Viennese version of the Red Light District. At first I thought those two skimpily attired women were just being friendly, but my suspicions were immediately raised when I walked by the "club" they stood outside of and saw the logo which featured a very naked lady. I then proceeded to take a better view of my surroundings and saw that indeed there were many strip clubs and the like in this area. The best part were some of the names--apparently this is what they think of when they see the word "Manhattan", or that naming your club "Okay" implies that the women are anything but. It wasn't just these blatant displays--I also walked by a coffeehouse with an "upstairs" and what were clearly women of the night going down the stairs. Oh yeah, then there were the two ladies dressed in bra and panties standing on the corner. I think that was the last subtle hint I needed.

But all this talk of Red Light this and Hooker that sells short how beautiful and interesting the city of Vienna is. As I mentioned, there is some absolutely stunning architecture, from the Volkstheater to the different palaces to the giant Ferris Wheel, the Prater. Also, Vienna is home to a lot of weirdness with which the denizens of the Pacific Northwest are certainly familiar--we wouldn't bat an eye at a sticker proclaiming "Space Invaders Against Sexism" for example. Combine this with museums like the Albertina which houses some fascinating Modern Art, and you have a true city of the arts. Vienna has a very unique identity, and is definitely worth a visit.


And so ends the massive recap of the big trip. I hope I didn't make you just envious of me, but instead provided some fun stories and some insight into unfamiliar areas. But of course, knowing me, I probably failed in all regards. Well, tough shit, that's all you're going to get from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lai Shui is a famous drama director, who won the Taiwan Golden Bell Award for Best Director. The plot has a perfectionist like to pull the play is Lai Shui notoriously, in Goodbye Sunny shooting the scene, always able to see the clear water and the actors rely on repeated study words and actions, and strive to perfect Lai guide, and even Paul Janus and Liu Sitong hand of a small detail spared. Lai guide said the remake of the classic will surely provoke a variety of arguments, many people tend to be Paizhuan..
Financial Network feature articles / reporter intern reporter Zhang Yanling Chang Hongxiao collective construction land can enter the market transactions, land reform has been China's key issues. Third Plenary Session of the CPC clearly in the urban planning area outside and non-public construction projects, farmers can participate in the development business. This provides farmers with land in the industrialization and urbanization of policy space, however, these policies with the existing Land Management Law, construction land must use state-owned land provision contrary..
Pick the most important point is that the tape fresh taste only fresh tape king scallops with black bean sauce was delicious: fresh scallops, garlic is fragrant, salty soy sauce, noodles and delicate, with a reasonable, delicious taste, the way you think Enjoy the taste of sour beef: beef sour soup is clear and golden yellow, acid is refreshing neat, leaving no general feeling in the tongue meat brings a sense of stagnation tired, but added there is a refreshing aftertaste sausages peas: preserved meat is a traditional food using fresh, tender and seductive combination of sausages snow peas, snow peas crisp, sausages fragrance, baby cabbage soup with rice dishes: soup is a homemade baby food, the main ingredients are dolls dishes, main cooking process is the cook, and then blend to puree. Finished fragrant, delicious, creamy osmanthus fermented small round sub: fermented Sauvignon sweet, Mariko Ruannuo fermented Sauvignon, refreshing can help relieve fatigue, promote blood circulation, as well as skin, breast enhancement effect of gold and silver knife: Appearance Small, cute and moving. Production of fine, unlike the traditional staple food to meet the food and clothing, just to allow you to experience new food fragrant..
If you exceed this time, post-operative recovery time will be relatively long, harm to women also will increase. Yunnan Jiuzhou hospital experts remind the majority of female friends: Once an unwanted pregnancy, and if do not intend to have children, then to the hospital treatment as soon as possible, so as not to miss the best time painless abortion include vacuum aspiration and curettage. Applies to 814 weeks pregnant..