Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Hump Day Helper -- The Return Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

Well, today marks the end of my Wild European Adventure. Not to worry, I have more stories and dispatches from the road to dispense with--you haven't even begun to hear about the extent of my crazy travels and encounters with strange local customs. And while I had a great time, it's always good to return home.

I've actually been obsessed with this song for the past few weeks. It may be because I'm thinking about careers and feeling all old and shit, but I think this song perfectly captures that kind of, well, angst, for the lack of a better word. I also think it perfectly captures the kind of priorities that my friends should be setting for themselves as they prepare for interviews with big-ass law firms in a couple of weeks (Words for the wise: "You spent the first five years trying to get with the plan/And the next five years trying to be with your friends again").

This video is one of those neat-o one-take videos, so is definitely worth checking out. Unfortunately, it was edited for time, which makes sense, considering the song on the album is seven-and-a-half minutes. But they could have done a better job with the edits--they cut out some of the best lyrics! So while I encourage you to watch the video, I also encourage you to listen to the unedited song as well. And while you do that, just think: WHERE ARE YOUR FRIENDS TONIGHT?

And with a face like a dad and a laughable stand
You can sleep on the plane or review what you said
When you're drunk and the kids look impossibly tan
You think over and over, "Hey, I'm finally dead."...

No comments: