Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Hump Day Helper -- Nic Ouzo Birthday Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

Though just about every week it's "my" choice for the video, this choice was one that was surely made solely in my own self-interest. That's right, it's time for another Pearl Jam fix, and the hell with you if you don't care for it.

Since there are few actual music videos with Pearl Jam, I decided to go with a live selection this time. Of course, it's hard to go wrong with one of those, since Pearl Jam is one of the best live acts in the world these days. As for the song, I chose the one that Chuck Klosterman said was Pearl Jam's only truly "great" song--while I'd argue that they have a few more that would fit under that category, I would agree with Chuck in saying that this one easily fits the bill.

The lyrics to "Corduroy" are some of Pearl Jam's finest, and this performance sees the band firing on all cylinders. Matt Cameron's drumming is on fire in this one, and Mike McCready throws down one of his better solos in this performance. "Corduroy" is a tough song to get a consistent solo--it has a strange chord progression that is constantly cycling through, so while you can get some amazing licks in there, it's hard to sustain a fully coherent great solo. But Mike manages to do just that here. You're welcome.

I don't want to be held in your debt
I'll pay it off in blood, let I be wed
I'm already cut up and half dead
I'll end up alone like I began...

No comments: