Monday, August 3, 2009

Nic Ouzo Meets A Woman: A Template

The following is but an example of what occurs when I meet a woman for the first time. While the details may change, the general pattern (and end result) are always the same.

Don't know what to offer you I'm only broke and lonely
And another one goes, and another goes by...


Being the naturally shy type, it is rare I approach anyone, female or otherwise. Some of my friends may find this hard to believe, considering how I can be around them, but put me in a new situation with people I don't know and I clam up. 24 years on this planet has taught me that people are rarely excited to meet me, and I tend to respect that opinion. As a result, interactions are forced upon me, and not the other way around.


So that's how it happened in this case. I was being introduced to a new co-worker, and we exchanged the usual pleasantries and engaged in the standard chitchat. She was beautiful--the precise kind of beautiful that would have prevented me from talking to her in any other circumstance. The best way to approximate it is maybe to see she looked a bit like Jessica Alba circa Idle Hands, and readers are familiar with the esteem I hold for that look. I was instantly struck by her cheerful demeanor and was disarmed by her smile, so to speak (sue me, I like to painfully insert musical references). Though the initial encounter was brief, I longingly looked forward to our next meeting and did all that I could to make it happen.

Over the next two days, we had chances to talk for longer periods of time, and she only proceeded to enrapture me even more. I went on to make a not-fool out of myself: I showed a careful depth of knowledge of the fine arts (but not too much so as to indulge my tendency towards know-it-all-ism) and asked probing questions about her background and career. Oh, you were a gymnast on the national team for your country? Tell me more about Paris... Hell, I made some jokes and she laughed! Honest laughs even, not just the standard polite laughs. There just might be something there. I was even beginning to think in terms of "Romantic Rights."



Come here baby I love your company
We could do it and start a family
She was living alone unhappily
We could do it, it's right romantically...


Again, being one to not make the first move, I went home that second night wondering if it would be too soon to become Facebook friends (ugh, objectively I know it's lame, but that's society for you these days). I may have a rapier wit, but I have a rapist's looks--I know my strengths and weaknesses, in other words. I went out for a jog, cooked some dinner and then settled in to check what news I had missed in the States. I check my email, and holy shit, she asked to be Facebook friends first! Good sign, Nicm good sign. Now let's just see her relationship status...

"In a relationship". Um, probably not a good sign.

Sure enough, I got confirmation the next day. "My boyfriend, he's an engineer, he doesn't have a great sense of humor..." Ah, an engineer, a practitioner of the black arts--I know when I am of no match.

Oh well. Everything remains the same, the same that it ever was.

4 comments:

Mr. Zhuang said...

You are not alone, my friend.

Damn engineers...

Nic Ouzo said...

Engineers are a menace and must be stopped.

The Scarlet Woman said...

Engineers are scary, scary people. With no senses of humor.

Nic Ouzo said...

What about their magnificent flying machines?