Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Hump Day Helper -- Possibly the Best Music Video Ever Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

People who know me well know that I'm a huge fan of Pearl Jam. Surprisingly enough, that facet of my personality hasn't shown up nearly as often as my penchant for profanity. But since I've run out of inspiration (temporarily) for the HDH, and my birthday is coming up, I said "fuck it, we're playing some Pearl Jam".

I always cite "Do The Evolution" as an example that shows that Pearl Jam really knows how to cut loose and just fucking rawk, and is proof positive that the Pitchfork quote that Pearl Jam played music "as if punk never happened" is among the dumbest things ever written. This song especially rips live, and is always a treat since Eddie likes to change up a few lyrics, like tossing in a "I'm the first mammal to shit my pants" or "Admire my man, Stone" and embarrass his guitarist.

Plus the video really is a winner for the truly cynical. Its depiction of humanity is dark, but very much true in a sense. Too bad nobody really saw it when it came out, but you can watch it now.

I'm a thief, I'm a liar
Here's my church, I sing in the choir...