Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hump day Helper -- DUEL! Edition


Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.

I have been listening to Apologies to the Queen Mary religiously for the past month, and it has affected my day-to-day life. I'm constantly singing random keyboard noodlings, let out random yelps, and am concerned with the impact of ghosts on my daily life. I have also realized that in a year with some spectacular releases (Z, Silent Alarm, for example), this debut will be remembered as one of the great albums of 2005. And now that I have a bootleg copy of their upcoming June release, I'll only have more opportunity to get obsessed with Wolf Parade. How can you not love a band that writes "Now we'll say it's in God's hands/But God doesn't always have the best goddamn plans, does he?"

For the video selection, I decided to go with this goofy take on 17th century chivalry. Maybe it's because I recently saw Barry Lyndon, but I really dig the goofy take on the practice of dueling. The performance of a chicken halfway through the video also makes it a particularly memorable video. As for a description of the music, think of a more psychedelic version of Modest Mouse taking on the theme from Cheers. If that doesn't strike you (though it should), perhaps you should sample a song done by the group's other vocalist, like "Modern World" (and enjoy a goofy video while you're at it).

Give me your eyes
I need sunshine...

No comments: