Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hump Day Helper: Another Apartment Story

Because it's Wednesday, and we all need a pick-me-up to make it through the rest of the week in our respective hells, WDR is providing some fun.



I'm going to begin the introduction of the video with a little story. I was still working as a DJ/Music Director back in 2007, when The National's acclaimed album Boxer came out. Since I was a guy who actually cared about music/his job, I had read up a lot in the press about how great these guys were, and so was eager to hear their stuff. I popped in their first single, the video above, and within about 45 seconds began to fall asleep, while wondering "What's the fuss?"

I must have been in a bad mood, because a couple of years later I find a used copy of Boxer in the Bargain Bin, and pick it up on a whim. This time, I'm more receptive, and begin to gradually appreciate a band which I affectionately call "Leonard Cohen fronting the Walkmen, if they were on Quaaludes." I mean this in a complimentary manner, I assure you. So The National are proof that sometimes you have to take a second chance with some things. However, I should also mention that the Arcade Fire still blows.

I think the best song to get people into the band is "Mr. November", which is about as the band comes to "rocking out"; plus it features the immortal chorus "I won't fuck us over, I'm Mr. November." However, the above video is a solid choice, showing how sometimes we just have to rock out in our apartments every once in a while.

Make up something to believe in your heart of hearts
so you have something to wear on your sleeve of sleeves...

No comments: